Friday, January 23, 2015

Homemade Laundry Soap

Never thought that would ever be the title of my blog, did ya?
Ya, me neither.
So many lessons in life are learned so many different ways.
Sometimes its our circumstances that teach us new things,
sometimes it's something someone says or does that teaches us.
Regardless, I am always amazed the ways that I learn new things!

Like making homemade laundry soap.
My hubby has his own business and sometimes (especially after the holidays)
we just don't have checks that are due to us come in. for. a. long. time.

So when the laundry is piling up and you've used your last cup full of detergent,
what to do? I tried the "ignore the laundry" for awhile. But really, clothes
were seeping out of the laundry room! Add in the Boy Scout campfire smell 
(smoky, dirty, sweaty!) and man oh man it  needed to get done.

So I took the adventure of making my own laundry soap.
I already had a huge bag of Baking Soda and Borax.
Plus I had some random bar soaps.
So I went for it. 


To make powdered laundry detergent, you will need the following:
-2 cups of finely grated bar soap (Any brand will do, but avoid strong scents.)
-1 cup of washing soda
-1 cup of borax
To grate the soap, a food processor works well, or if you are feeling strong, try a cheese grater and some elbow grease. Mix all the ingredients well and store in a box or other container. If the container is air-tight, your soap will last longer. Use about two tablespoons per load.
Not knowing what "washing soda" was, I looked it up and found
that you can bake baking soda to turn it into washing soda!
(learn something new every day, huh?)


My laundry baskets are almost empty and everyone is smelling very fresh 
and clean around here. Thank goodness!
{If you know me, laundry piling up and laying around is not my favorite!!}

If you're ever in a pinch, you can make it, too!!
It's probably a lot cheaper to make, but something about the fresh smell of
will get me every time.
See ya, I'm off to the store because payday arrived in the mail today.
Yaaaaaaay!!

No comments: