Monday, February 24, 2014

Best. Granola. Ever.

For those of you who know me, I like easy and delicious.
One recipe that I love, love, love is homemade granola.
Credits go to my dear friend Yadira Call.

Here's the recipe. 
(**with my alterations at the bottom)

Granola
Mix dry ingredients: (I divide between two large bowls)
13 c. oats (regular, not quick)
1 1/2 c. sliced or chopped almonds
1c. chopped pecans
1c. chopped walnuts
1c. raisins**
1c. craisins**
1c. ground flax seed **
4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Separately Mix liquid ingredients:
1 1/4 c. cooking oil
2 1/2 c. honey (make sure it's liquid, heat it if it's not)
3 tbsp water
1 1/2 tbsp vanilla

Combine liquid and dry ingredients and mix well.  Spread thinly on cookie sheets. Bake at 350F for 7 min then take out and mix up, then spread around again.  Repeat 2 more times for a total of 18 - 21 minutes at 350. (18 total minutes for chewier granola, 21 minutes total for crunchier) Put in a big bowl and keep mixing occasionally until cool.
My tips:
**I like / love chewy granola (not super crunchy!). I spread granola on two cookie sheets (and end up doing this twice for a total of 4 cookie sheets of granola). I put one cookie on the top rack, the other on the bottom for 7 minutes. Take out and stir around. Then put the cookie sheet that was on the top rack on the bottom, etc.. You will do this for a total of 3 times, or 21 minutes.  Watch your granola very carefully the last 7 minutes!!!! If it gets too brown on top, it will be crunchy granola!! I think I only put mine in for 5 minutes the last time cooking for a total of 19 minutes cooking time. It will really depend on how much granola is on your pan.

**My family is not raisin or craisin lovers, so I don't add them in. One time I did, but I added them AFTER cooking, and they were great by me!

**I was out of ground flax seed the last time I made granola, so I just ended up adding in extra nuts as a substitute. Worked perfect.

**I grind up my nuts in my blender. Mostly pretty fine, with a few smaller pieces here and there.

**If my kids knew how many nuts were actually in this they would probably never believe me. They are not nut fans at all, but if they are all ground up - you can't even tell!
BEST RECIPE EVER!!!!
 Our darling granddaughter Ellie, with Uncle Zac who both LOVE granola!
GIVE ME MOOORRRE!!!

photo from the internet - mine looks chewier and more clumped together! ;)

1 comment:

larajanepark said...

I know how good your granola is! Thank you for sharing the recipe..xoxoxox love to all!