Monday, September 12, 2011

Service

An atheist professor was teaching a college class and he told the class that he was going to prove that there is no God.

He said, "God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I'll give you 15 minutes!"
Ten minutes went by. He kept taunting God, saying, "Here I am, God. I'm still waiting."

He got down to the last couple of minutes and a Marine newly registered in the class walked up
to the professor, hit him full force in the face, and sent him flying from his platform.

The professor struggled up, obviously shaken and yelled, "What's the matter with you? Why did you do that?"
The Marine replied, "God was busy, so He sent me.”  :)

Spencer and I got a good laugh out of the above story. Reading it reminded me of one of my most favorite quotes:

“God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other in the kingdom. So often, our acts of service consist of simple encouragement or of giving mundane help with mundane tasks, but what glorious consequences can flow from mundane acts and from small but deliberate deeds!” –Spencer W. Kimball

We are often times, without even knowing it, the answer to someone else’s prayer as we serve, love and look for the needs that others have. It can come from something as simple as smiling, saying hello, giving someone a compliment, opening a door, bringing a neighbor a treat, spending a few extra minutes with a child at bedtime, turning off the tv and focusing our whole attention on a loved one. There are many things we can do daily that can lighten the loads of others while being the answers to their prayers. I hope that I will be in tune with the needs of others so I can be an instrument in the Lords hands.

service

2 comments:

larajanepark said...

You're my favorite newspaper Amy. I so look forward to your posts. I always learn from you and you are a reminder to us all, every day, to be a better person, a better listener, a better mama and a better friend. I love you xox

Amy said...

Lara. You are my devoted follower. And my blog has strengthend me as I've shared the thoughts that have been in my head. Something about writing them down makes them more solid. I love you sister. So thankful to be a part of such an amazing family. We are so blessed. xoxoxoxo happy day to you my most favorite big sister.